Monday, February 8, 2010

Superbowl Spots: Some Were good

I don't think all the Superbowl ads were a disappointment as many have been saying.  Although I do agree with Stuart Elliott of The New York Times who opined that nostalgia was front and center.

The Snickers spot with Betty White and an appearance by Abe Vigoda (long thought dead by many) was great.

I loved the kgb Sumo wrestler piece wherein a couple of skinny guys are poised to fight a couple of HUGE sumo wrestlers.  The guy who didn't use kgb to text his question (How to say "I surrender" in Japanese) gets mauled while the guy who does gets his answer and escapes safely.

The Audi ad with the "green police" was funny and drove home a number of points, not the least of which poked fun at the environmental movement.

The Jay/Oprah/Dave bit was hysterical, topical and clever, all of which are the hallmarks of a great Superbowl ad.

I'm not a big fan of the Simpsons, so the Coke spot set in Springfield was lost on me.

Others that were simply lame included Denny's, Budweiser and Monster.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment